GoBoard™ by Johns Manville (Made in the USA)
GoBoard™ is the ultra-light, waterproof tile backer board from Johns Manville. It’s engineered for durability, yet is up to 80% lighter than cement boards. GoBoard™ is easy to handle and can be cut right where it’s installed with a basic utility knife without crumbling or disintegrating. And, best of all, it has waterproofing already built-in.
Key Benefits of GoBoard™
- `GoBoard™ 1/2″ x 3′ x 5′ weighs only 7.5lbs and is easy to handle
- It can be quickly cut right where it is installed with a basic utility knife without crumbling or disintegrating
- Simply attach with backer board screws or roofing nails
- GoBoard™ is waterproof
- Seal only the board joints and fastener locations with urethane sealant for a waterproof tile assembly as per GoBoard™ installation instructions
- For tile installations – showers, wall, ceilings and floors
- On concrete floors GoBoard™ will act as a thermal insulation under tile.
- Can improve the efficiency of radiant heat by up to 40%
- Acts as an uncoupling membrane, reducing the risk of transfer cracks in tiles.
Sizes 3′ x 5′ x 1/2″ and 1/4″
Weight: 7.5lbs for 1/2″ and 6.0lbs 1/4″ thicknesses
1/2″ wedi® panels vs. 1/2″ GoBoard™
|Offers full shower system pans, walls, drains & sealant||Yes||No|
|Compressive Strength 1/2″||150psi||200psi|
|Heavy Duty Commercial Use||Yes||No|
|Light Commercial Use||Yes||Yes|
|Resistance to Fungus/Bacteria||Yes||Yes|
|Can it be used on floors?||Yes||Yes|
|Under Radiant Heat?||Yes||Yes|
|Must be installed with washers||Yes||No|
|Minimum Size Floor Tiles||2″||6″|
|Fiberglass Dust Can Irritate Skin and Nasal Passages||No||Yes|
GoBoard™ is not intended to replace wedi® Richmond Tile & Bath. We are adding it to our offering as a less expensive alternative for underlayment and wall, in wet areas where a full wedi® shower system is not being used.
- As a thermal break on concrete floors under tile
- To prevent heat sink under radiant heat
- On walls in wet areas where shower receptor, bathtub, fiberglass pans or lead pans are being used
- Many of our customers will still prefer wedi™ in these situations for various reasons
- There is no reason any consumer would not take advantage of adding longevity and low maintenance to a tile installation for a few bucks more than cement backer board by using this GoBoard™ product.